Get Ready to Have Your Best Year Yet With Some Simple Planning Guidance
So, How’d Your Year Go?
“Dumpster fire”. “Lucky I Just Survived”. “I crushed it like a tin can:, Or simply “meh…”. These are all acceptable answers, but we should endeavor to dig a little deeper. And with the holidays upon us our annual “get out of jail free” card is back. We get to wipe the slate clean.
Every year, around this time, I try to slow things down just a bit and take some time to think about the year that was: What I accomplished. What didn’t go so well. How the journey felt along the way (that matters a lot). I also ask myself some easy and hard questions around what my hopes, dreams and goals are for the next year. We like to think about the future around SOCO. We like to lay out some “destinations” we’d like to get to in that future. I don’t care so much about how we get there because there are a bunch of different ways.
Ready To Have a Better Next Year Than This Year?
Me too. I really think that life is just a series of experiments. Little baby experiments where we learn things and make incremental progress. I fully subscribe to the “1% Every Day” concept. I think it’s a fundamental part of our existence as human beings….to evolve.
So, let’s talk about how we can take stock, hit reset and position ourselves to have our best year yet. Have some ideas to add? Drop them in the comment below. So, here’s to your evolution in the new year my friends. We can do this (together). So, let’s go!
8 Planning Tips To Start Next Year On Fire 🔥
- Take time to reflect on the year that was, really – Make sure you celebrate your hard fought wins, but don’t forget to also acknowledge areas where you struggled. This is the growth mindset…get you some (and write them down). I bet if you’re intentional about exploring all you’ve accomplished this year….your cup will runneth over. 🥂
- Refill Your Cup – Speaking of cups. No one can run hard 24/7. Take time to nourish your mind, body, spirit and relationships. Rest. Sleep. Laugh. Do something to really take care of yourself over the break. Be intentional about rewarding yourself. 😴
- Commit To Kicking Imposter Syndrome – Here’s are some facts that I’ve uncovered through 20 years in business. Everyone is full of shit. Everyone has ridden the struggle bus at one point. And everyone has something they are truly wonderful at. And lastly…you and me both deserve the success the we have worked so hard to achieve (however you define that). So, stop thinking you can’t do it. Kick that fear to the curb. 😔
- Set Some Reasonable Goals – Focus on growth. On getting better. On improving. Set some goals that you can achieve, given your resources and situation. Write them down and share them. And while you’re at it, do personal and professional goals. Because we are whole people. 🎯
- Create a Bias Towards Action – It’s amazing how the first 3 months of the year set the tone for the rest. Position yourself to take action early in the year. 🏃🏿
- Get An “Accountabili-buddy” – We’re way more likely to get the work done when we’re not the only ones we’re “reporting to”. Find a friend or colleague that you can share your goals with and commit to regular check-ins with each other. Accountability is crucial. 👐🏼
- Send something big out into the universe – Challenge yourself to think and act bigger by writing down and sharing an audacious goal. Something that’s not very safe. You have permission to dream a little (and fail). What’s most likely is that your big crazy goal will push you farther (even if you miss the mark) and you’ll grow. 💥
- Just Don’t Give Up – Here’s something else we’ve learned. Success can be about outthinking, out hustling or out maneuvering the competition. But, normally…it’s just about outlasting them. If you believe in what you are doing, then make a commitment to not stop. Regardless of what life throws at you in the new year…don’t stop. Don’t give up. Don’t give in to fear. Be bold.. Be audacious.. Be true to yourself. Don’t stop until you’ve reached your destination. 💪🏽
Need a Little More Inspiration?
Looking for a little more inspo as you roll into the New Year? Check out this great episode on the Communal podcast as Greg and Gene expose a fundamental truth: failure is not the end, but a critical step of personal and professional evolution. We open up about fear, resilience and personal growth. If you need a reset for 2024, this might just be your medicine.
About The Author:
Greg Hilton is the cofounder and managing partner for SOCO, SOCO is a thriving platform and community focused on supporting creators, indie workers and entrepreneurs just like you. He’s an avid outdoorsman, creator and storyteller. He’s also been self-employed and a business owner for nearly two decades and has worked with hundreds of solos, creators and entrepreneurs to help them lead better and more meaningful lives.
Like what you’re reading here? Share it with someone else!